Forums ePic Character Generator Showroom Share your character :) Fasold’s Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Fasoldgames
    Participant

I was thinking, what do you guys think about questions in regard to character creation?

In some older games, like the older Elder Scrolls games, you could answer a bunch of questions and the computer would then select the character that best fitted your answers.
      I always loved answering those questions, and I am trying to incorporate them in my game also.

Here’s a question I wrote, the answers lead either to the mage, the warrior or the rogue class.

‘You are in love with the most beautiful girl in the village. But you are not the only one. One of your competitors has written a striking poem, and you know the girl loves poetry. Do you:

– Ignore the poetry and try to impress the girl with a show of strength?
      – Try to steal his poem and pass it off as you own?
      – Try to write an even better poem?

Anyway, any thoughts?

Kelemelan
      Participant

Never faced that kind of questions, tbh, I’m used to asking them… and then answering them myself 😉

Like where am I coming from ? why did I choose to leave my hometown ? why am I not in a comfortable house by the fireplace rather than freezing my a** in the wild ??!! and so on… ;P

But I know I already mentioned somewhere I feel constrained by computer games… and by class systems in general anyway. 😉

So just don’t mind me. ^_^

caenissnow
        Participant

I like the idea of the questions. You get some questions when you make a new character on GW2 that do have a bearing on what story your character plays out in the beginning.

I would hate to be locked into a particular character type though. If you used the questions like GW2 only to set a character’s background and storyline, that’s one thing, but I have played games where you can get locked into a particular class or race that maybe isn’t what you’re wanting to play. I try EVERYTHING. I love to play alts. And in one game (I can’t remember which now – been too long or i’m getting too old) I always got locked into playing healer until I finally figured out a way to let it skip the questions and let me choose for myself. So I would say, don’t make it so locked in that someone can’t play a different way. 🙂

Kelemelan
          Participant

Yup, that’s why I’m hostile to class based systems. Stuff like : ” you’re a warrior therefore you have to tank !”

What the ?!? My background is that I’m an old soldier fed up with fighting. I’m a peacemonger. I know how to fight but I hate doing it. No way I’m tanking. Sure My class is Warrior but that’s just a word on my character sheet, that’s not who I am!

See why I have issues with Class/Level/etc… systems ? 😉 😛

caenissnow
            Participant

I love video games and i really don’t mind a class/level system depending on the game… Here’s why…. You are presented with a particular class, usually again, I play healer. In PWI (Perfect World International) when you choose a class you are VERY locked in, BUT, I have played healer (called cleric in PWI) for so many years I can not only heal but also tank in what’s supposed to be the weakest class in the game. If you learn the restraints of your class, you can break them. 😀 I like to learn classes and then play my own way anyway. Another class I played in that game that supposedly wasn’t a tank was an assassin. I made a MALE assassin (eye candy for me) and soloed with him. I got to max level all alone in a class that isn’t supposed to be able to tank or keep itself healed. (That was fun and soooo sexy to watch. 😀 )

GW2 plays differently though, you can choose different play styles according to different weapons in ALL classes. Which is why it’s a challenge to me to try everything. 😀

I guess, what I’m saying is, I like the challenge. 😀

Kelemelan
              Participant

Okay, but I want my characters to evolve (this doesn’t mean level up) no matter what I do (isn’t that what real life is about ?). So if I spend my time reading about architecture or archaeology or whatever in the game, I expect my character to learn about these topics. If he doesn’t, something feels wrong to me.

That’s why I don’t like Class/Level based systems, and I prefer flesh & blood GMs. They can adapt their responses to what I’m doing or to what’s actually happening. 🙂

caenissnow
                Participant

Maybe the difference is, for me anyway, that my “character” does learn something because i learned something reading those things, If you get my meaning. What i mean is, if you roleplay your character, you are still learning… it isn’t written down or anything… No one keeps track of it, but whatever character you play in any setting, video game, or whatever, can still learn. I guess what I’m trying to say is, you can roleplay, regardless of the format. That’s a very personal thing. In the Elder Scrolls games there are mountains of books to read, tons of information. You can choose to read every single book and use that lore. It’s all there. In GW2 there are books as well… You don’t really get anything for reading them (or every gravestone -but I read them anyway) but you do learn more about the world, history, etc.

When you roleplay, ANY game can work, because you’re making up your own story and simply using the game’s setting.

(And after an hour or so of searching I found a screenshot of my male assassin in PWI): ghost.jpg

Kelemelan
                  Participant

[quote=”caenissnow” post=2864]
                    When you roleplay, ANY game can work, because you’re making up your own story and simply using the game’s setting.
                    PWI): [/quote]

It cannot work if the game works against you. 🙂

Let’s use the easiest example. In a pen and paper RPG, my character was an absolute pacifist. I didn’t get involved in any combat and my main combat skill was Dodge 😉 I was a diplomat, an artist and a poet, and this is how I became known as a major player in that world’s history (the pen is mightier than the sword… 😉 ).

What I’m saying is: roleplaying is most certainly a way out of the class/level rigidity but this works only for pen and paper RPGs (if the GM allows such flexibility, I’ve been there ^_^ ), but it doesn’t work with computer games, because then, you just can’t bend the rules and you can’t ignore them. 🙂

caenissnow
                    Participant

You can bend the rules. You can choose your own path. I’ve done it. it doesn’t work with all games, but it does work with some. Skyrim is the first to come to mind, but the Elder Scrolls games and Fallout games were meant to be twisted into your own way.

In Fallout 3 I think it was, I was faced with rescuing some kids from a camp of slave traders. The questline said infiltrate by winning their trust and joining them, and gave a few choices as to how to do this. Now…. My characters are usually goody-two-shoes and that one was no exception. ‘Right’ and ‘good’ above all else, and all the choices I was given were against that. In order to infiltrate I had to, in essence, become one of them. Well f-that… I got mad. I killed all the slave traders and set everyone free. Didn’t do the quest the ‘right’ way, but by golly I wasn’t gonna become one of them just to complete a quest. I can’t remember if it completed that way or not. Probably not, but I don’t care. I wasn’t gonna break my own rule. 😀

You can play however you want, you just have to be creative sometimes. 😀 But hey, you like pen and paper, I like looking at beautiful 3d worlds (and sexy guys). 😀 It’s all good.

Fasoldgames
                      Participant

Interesting how you stuck to your character, I should do that more often 🙂

I personally hate stealth quests, I am as sneaky as an elephant in a porcelain closet, so I always end up on a killing spree, where stealth and subtle tactics where required, according to the quest.
                        A bit like you did, in your quest there 🙂

The questions should indeed be optional, in my opinion. I believe the game Daggerfall allowed you to do the questions, and when it gave your character, it asked if this was the character you wanted to play, you could always say no and choose your own.

I think that was a good system. But for the ease of programming and game design, it is much simpler to stick to a class system, you can railroad your players a lot better….
                        I know railroading is bad, bad and awful, but it makes for so much easier game design 🙂

Kelemelan
                        Participant

I like being creative! Just too much. 🙂

That is if the game is telling me to do something and I find it stupid, I’m not going to do it, period.

My usual reaction in PnP is just to do something else entirely like pursuing my own objective. Point is in a computer game I can’t do that because what I want has to be in the game to begin with.

What I’m just trying to tell you is that if you have to be creative, you can’t do exactly what you want, you’re just pushing the boundaries a bit. I just don’t want those boundaries at all. 🙂

Now indeed computer games have the upper hand where the graphics are involved but my experience has been that exactly because of that, they are killing the players’ imaginations and their ability to picture something from a description or a text. This also affects quite a lot the attention span 😛

So yes, I’m using graphics and pics (wouldn’t be here otherwise, hey 😉 😛 ) but it’s like all good things : must be used with just the right quantities or you spoil the meal. ^_^

Kelemelan
                          Participant

If you’re talking to me, my character wasn’t a stealth one, he was quite the opposite: a well known and vibrant one. He was just not a fighter. Just an incredible peace loving public speaker 🙂

Fasoldgames
                            Participant

Both your characters sound interesting 🙂

I personally live (in computer games anyway) by that time tested adage: If violence doesn’t solve your problem, you are probably not using enough 🙂

Kelemelan
                              Participant

Btw railroading is something I hate and it’s one reason why I stopped playing with some GMs… or why I wouldn’t play some computer games 😉

I came back to the computer world for a while because I had at least a feeling of freedom, and then my games popped out of this world so I went back to good old solid old fashioned RPGs 😉

caenissnow
                                Participant

@Fasoldgames I love stealth quests, particularly in Dragon Age: Origins. I went all stealth. 😀 I love being able to pick off all the bad guys in the distance. There’s a great game to play all stealth… an indie game called Betrayer which I love… I wrote a review of it on my gaming blog a long time ago:

Oops…. wrong order:
                                  Betrayer part 1
                                  Betrayer part 2
                                  Betrayer part 3

But anyway, I know what you mean about not being able to. I have known those who absolutely cannot. 😀 And in some games I just can’t either. Usually because companions misbehave.

@Kelemelan

And yeah… what you’re saying is true too, but if it’s in my head, I’m usually writing rather than gaming. Writing is everything.

I’ve been writing all day today. About to head into GW2 though and kill stuff. Nothing more therapeutic than killing stuff. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 231 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.