Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    caenissnow
    Participant

Yeah… wow…. I play GW2 every night for 4 hours but with just one friend. He and I have played so many games… both MMOs and single player games at the same time and all while talking in Skype. But we play more casually than I used to. For too many years i was healer in PWI in a major guild. That was just work. Constantly on call no matter what I was doing. These people would message me even when i wasn’t in the game to get me to go resurrect or heal them during runs. I loved being a healer… In fact I still do… if you see a crazy woman jumping around in GW2 rezzing and healing like mad and she’s in [HART] that might be me. 😀 But as for ‘on call’ healer… um… no.

I do enjoy world building too, in so far as the planets themselves, the history, the flora and fauna, the politics, but they are always a backdrop for the story. The stories are my favorite part. Usually they’re very dark. I don’t write a lot of happy stuff. But still, coming up with all the reasons for things and objects and lifestyles and why things are as they are… fun stuff. 😀

Kelemelan
      Participant

I generally prefer computer RPGs for the tighter narrative and visuals

That’s the thing, usually I prefer real life RPGs because what I have in mind is well… in my mind. Not on paper or on screen or whatever. And it’s better if players imagine the King they want to respect according to a description rather than if they see a pic that makes them laugh. 😉

I like it if my players imagine their own version of the world but it’s sort of what Lovecraft explained about fear: defining it is restraining it. So, yes, I’m using visual support, but I’m making sure not to abuse these. 🙂

Fasoldgames
        Participant

I was thinking, we all seem to like (well, almost all, no offense Kelemelan 🙂 ) online RPG’s, so perhaps we could get together sometimes. To have fun and talk some more.

I took a look at Guildwars 2 just now, but sadly, it is 45 euro’s to start with….and also, I get a level 80 character boost, if I want it or not. And I hate character boosts, it seems like cheating and for the very, very lazy…

Anyway, I did see a character class I like, the Mesmer. I like to play characters that have a relation to characters I create for my board game, and the Mesmer comes very close to Thaleia the Enchantress, mistress of illusion and bedazzlement 🙂

caenissnow
          Participant

Actually you can play GW2 for free now: Guild Wars 2 Free You can give it a try and see if you like it.

I have a free account in addition to 2 paid accounts. (One from before the Heart of Thorns expansion.) And the Level 80 boost you can just ignore. I still have mine. I prefer leveling up the hard way. 😛 They constantly give exp boosts, so i have huge store of them on both my big accounts and never really use them.

Mesmer is amazing to play. I have a max level one. Great fun.

If you guys don’t mind foul language, ( I don’t, but I have to mention it… ) there’s an excellent review byAngry Joe – GW2 Review Angry Joe

🙂

Fasoldgames
            Participant

Thanks, I’ll give it a try soon!

Checked out the Angry Joe review, funny guy, and he makes some good points. Went on to watch his review of the Elder Scrolls online, also quite funny!

caenissnow
              Participant

I have Elder Scrolls Online and I haven’t watched that review yet. I’ll check it out in a few hours. It’s 5:25am here…. I guess I should stop writing my book and go to bed. 😀

Kelemelan
                Participant

[quote=”Fasoldgames” post=2822]I was thinking, we all seem to like (well, almost all, no offense Kelemelan 🙂 ) online RPG’s, so perhaps we could get together sometimes. To have fun and talk some more.
                  [/quote]

None taken, I did say I liked online RPGs, especially when a VTT is involved. I even played online game (such as GuildWar this time) for a long while, but I’m no longer spending any money on something than can vanish without warning. This doesn’t happen with PnP RPGs played online. So that’s where I am. 🙂

I still like MMOs and computer games, if you will. What I hate with a passion, is wasting my time and being unable to access my stored gameplay 10 or 15 years later. This doesn’t happen with plain documents or images I’ve been using for standard RPGs, and I’m still doublechecking my notes from the 80s with pleasure so there’s that. 🙂

So, you see, I’m facing easy choices. 🙂

If I was really into computer games, I would expect the “GM” to import my character from “The Pawn” (yeah the 1985 text based game) into an ever evolving continuity. Like they do in RPGs, right. Dragonlance or Greyhawk evolved a lot during that same time period (and that doesn’t mean make him more powerful). See, it just doesn’t work.

I’m more about roleplaying over the very long run than XP-spending. 🙂

And that means I need a flesh and blood GM.

Fasoldgames
                  Participant

Well, I checked some games lately on Steam which I found interesting, only to read in the comments that the developers had abandoned the game….and there was quite a bit of rage there.

If you spend hours and hours of building a character, I understand where the anger comes from 🙂

Still, would the DM not need to be a loved one, or spouse for that matter? 10 to 15 years is a long time, and personally, I have lost touch with almost all people from 10 years ago.

Still, you make an interesting point. And about that game ‘The Pawn’, is that still playable nowaways? 🙂

caenissnow
                    Participant

[quote=”Fasoldgames” post=2827]
                      Still, would the DM not need to be a loved one, or spouse for that matter? 10 to 15 years is a long time, and personally, I have lost touch with almost all people from 10 years ago.[/quote]

Yeah… I was thinking that too. My friend I play GW2 with and I have known each other 6 years, and there’s folks on my Facebook page (aside from family) I knew in PWI as far back as 2008, but still…. that’s not 10 years. In fact I’ve only been playing online games since Myst: URU went up (and then down) so long ago. (That was a sad thing.)

My tastes change. My play style changes. What’s fun today might not be fun a year from now, if you know what I mean. 🙂

Kelemelan
                      Participant

Still, you make an interesting point. And about that game ‘The Pawn’, is that still playable nowaways? 🙂

My bet is it isn’t for technical reasons but the story is sound, it should still be playable.

Afterall, Villains & Vigilantes (1982, hey ? 😉 ) is older, it’s still playable, and it’s even getting new sourcebooks now. With pen and paper stuff it’s all about whether or not you want to use them. With computer games it’s a lot more complex. 🙂

Kelemelan
                        Participant

Looks like The Pawn’s original storyline is somewhat playable nowadays:

http://msmemorial.if-legends.org/games.htm/pawn.php

Nowadays, I still feel constrained by this type of game but enjoy yourselves ! 😉

caenissnow
                          Participant

Made a skinny version of myself for an avatar for Steam and here. 😛 ( ha… uh, yeah…. If only I looked half that good. 😛 )

closeenough.png

Made this guy too, but…. hmmm….. Close but still not quite what I was looking for. He’s meant to be older.

Nin.png

Kelemelan
                            Participant

Would he look better this way ? (just a test 🙂 )

Attachments:
                              caenissnow
                              Participant

Not exactly, but thanks for trying. 🙂

I don’t really do anything with these, they’re just for my own personal reference. I ended up scouring Pinterest for what I wanted. (I practically live there these days 😀 ):

Just to help me keep the character in my mind’s eye.

Attachments:
                                caenissnow
                                Participant

(What I really need now is a map maker. 😛 It’s getting crazy keeping all the travel times straight for this thing.)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 203 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.