Viewing 8 posts - 196 through 203 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    caenissnow
    Participant

Well, I have 2 Western Digital My Books, one is 1tb, the other 4tb. I usually make good backups but of course, right when I got lazy the pc broke. 😛 I do like the idea of the docking bay thing and that adapter, my only issue right now is, I have no money. I’m a housewife and money is something i usually get on my birthday or mother’s day. At Christmas it all goes on the kids so it might be a bit before i could get one. I might just have my daughter put the drive in an empty slot in this old pc. Maybe rob a couple of fans for it too. We’ll see. 🙂

kalnaren
      Participant

I usually have one of the same problems -either I don’t feel like spending the money, or I get lazy -_-.

Back when I was running Linux I just automated all my backups. I could do it in Windows.. but.. effort lol.

I very much use the “cross my fingers” method of data protection lol. Although truth be told it’s pretty rare for a hard drive itself to completely fail and be unrecoverable without warning. Luckily I also have access to some tools at work if it ever does happen.

If you keep all your stuff together (or at least, in the same collection of folders) it actually wouldn’t be too hard to automate a backup. Windows 10 especially has a bunch of built-in tools for doing just that. In Windows 7 or 8 a batch script would work just as well.

(NOTE: This is all stuff I preach… but don’t do myself because of aforementioned lazy 😛 )

Kelemelan
        Participant

Yeah well, I’d believe Caenis is still right on point.

Without regards for budget, data protection wouldn’t be much of an issue, but since money matters… ;P

kalnaren
          Participant

You can do the same thing with the Google drive addon. It installs it as a drive in Windows, then you can automate your backups to the cloud. Even easier with Onedrive and Microsoft Synctoy. All free software.

Proper data backups is usually a matter of effort, not budget. Take it from someone too lazy to do them 🙂

Kelemelan
            Participant

Err… I don’t know about Caenis but I’d require many TBs of backups. Those online drives are only a few GBs for free (not even counting bandwidth issues) unless you start paying… and we’re back to my money concern… 🙂

So I think I’m quite down to earth here. 🙂

caenissnow
              Participant

Yeah – I have Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox (all the free space available), 1tb external and a 4tb external and now my poor 2tb from the broken desktop. Because I’m a heavy gamer in addition to artist and writer, I also make mods, so yeah…. I need a ton of backup space.

I didn’t know about the automated backups in Windows 10 though… If I can get a new pc I will definitely check into that.

I too have every thing set up in a structured way so I can find everything easy. I learned I needed to do that a few PCs back when i was making music. My old pcs are complete disaster areas in that respect. 😀

It’s funny, I have all kinds of time, but no money. 😀

Kelemelan
                Participant

Note that I’d exchange time for money anytime…

Because with money, you can buy backup drives, buy backup space and pay people to perform all those backups you so dearly require 😛

That’s why I’d prefer an unlimited budget anytime 😉

caenissnow
                  Participant

yeah… An unlimited budget would be nice.

There’s something I prefer in exchange for both, but alas…. one can only dream. 😛

Viewing 8 posts - 196 through 203 (of 203 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.