Forums ePic Character Generator Showroom Share your character :) Fasold’s Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Kelemelan
    Participant

Let’s just say I can’t agree on that one since to me, I can’t **roleplay** if I’m solo. I can’t fall in love with err… who ? or die for causes who are just myself… to me it’s not roleplaying, it’s just, at best, daydreaming. And if it’s only about the tactical thinking, well, it’s even less about the roleplaying part which is exactly what I’m talking about. 🙂

I need to be able to go off script any time, and I need a GM for that, because It’s not because I do that, that I know what to expect, the unexpected is part of the fun too. 🙂 So, someone else’s perspective is not an option.

That’s what makes the game feel alive.

kalnaren
      Participant

Well, that’s the thing… In the example I provided above, there was no script.

Before I began I established exactly 3 things: My character, the starting town, and the first adventure hook (caravan guard). That’s it. No other details about the adventure or events. I had no idea Higgs was going to encounter other mercs, a huge band of baddies, or if he was going to find the caravan as soon as he left town or not at all.

The entire thing was “off script”, and 100% roleplaying as it relies on logical interpretation of the events around you as they unfold. If you can’t imagine your character there, in that location, encountering those people or places, Mythic GME will nit work.

It really is a wonderful tool. I’ve also used it for 3 player games without a GM, and it works even better with more people. 🙂

Kelemelan
        Participant

Point is you’re saying “logical interpretation” and I’m reading “you’re talking to yourself”.

What I find fun is when a GM is surprising me by doing stuff completely out there like dead serious cop campaign à la Hill Street Blues and dimensional travels, this happened irl but if you want it to be controlled you do need someone to set limits.

Now maybe you’re talking about RPGs as single shot or short term games. Then well, I can understand that players wanna try whatever tool they have at hand but in the long run for years long campaign, I have little faith in these.

I mean, there’s “off script” and “off script” when talking to a supers GM like me, if you get my drift. And when I play “logically”, I’m following “my” logic, not the rule’s or the game’s because that’s what’s fun to me. Where there are other players I’m going for a common ground, but since RPGs are about fun, as a starting point, I’ve no issue with flying pigs if you get the idea. ;P

It’s about the middle ground between me and the GM (or me and the players). I really need a GM. 😉

caenissnow
          Participant

@kalnaren

So it is possible then. Neat. 🙂 Read through some of your blog there. Reminds me of using a set of Tarot cards or a random generator or dice to write a story.

@Kelemelan

So you’re saying you cannot play solo. The act of gaming itself requires at least one other person for you, period.

And some people, like me, kinda have to play solo, sadly, so video games it is. 🙂

Kelemelan
            Participant

There’s a lot of solo work involved in roleplaying so not exactly (drawing maps, creating characters, settings, etc…), but for the act of pnp (all variant included) roleplaying itself, yeah, my experience is that I need at least one other person. 🙂

Note that I did try my luck at video games for a really long time (most of my life to be honest), but a few years a go, several of those video games just vanished because the company backing them decided so, and I ended up with squat. I Realized my old school dead tree rpg books from the eighties were still working just like the recent ones no matter the choices of their publisher, so there I am. 🙂

Kelemelan
              Participant

btw, Caenis, it’s more that, to me, gaming is a social experience. It doesn’t feel right if it’s done solo. 🙂

It can be fun as a quick and easy 5 mn game while you wait for the bus. But as I already said, I get bored if the passion isn’t “alive” as in shared.

On the other hand, if I really want to “solo” an adventure, I’d just take a pen and write it. Since I’m usually a GM and not a player, that would be my most natural response. 🙂

caenissnow
                Participant

Okay. 😀 To each his own.

I’ve only been playing online games since 2008 basically, but all the ones I’ve played (and enjoyed) are still there. And solo games are always there so… I guess I just find it easier to turn on a game, play for an hour and then go back to writing. But everyone is different. 🙂

caenissnow
                  Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=2908]btw, Caenis, it’s more that, to me, gaming is a social experience. It doesn’t feel right if it’s done solo. 🙂

It can be fun as a quick and easy 5 mn game while you wait for the bus. But as I already said, I get bored if the passion isn’t “alive” as in shared.

On the other hand, if I really want to “solo” an adventure, I’d just take a pen and write it. Since I’m usually a GM and not a player, that would be my most natural response. :)[/quote]

And I didn’t see this till after I wrote a response, so…

Yeah. I get that. In fact, to be honest, I made my solo male character in GW2 to play to keep from going insane alone all day. I may not be talking to anyone or playing directly with anyone, but there are others around and it keeps me from feeling so much alone.

Kelemelan
                    Participant

Yeah, sorry, maybe that one came out wrong. I apologise 🙁

I meant that, to me, gaming as in gamings pnp rpgs, is a social experience, not really gaming in general. My bad. :unsure:

Sadly, my experience with computer gaming tends to support the general perspective but I really didn’t want to be obnoxious, sorry. 🙁

Now to me the trouble with computer games is really that they stop working (one way or another), that they stop evolving, and that you have no control over them. ie: you have no “what if” ability. 😛 you can’t rewrite the end and do something else entirely. You are entirely dependent on the publisher (let’s say that most of us are at least 😉 ), while it’s pretty easy to play that game of “what if” with pnp rpgs or even with a novel if you will. And imagination is such a marvellous tool… 😉

kalnaren
                      Participant

Don’t get me wrong, generally I prefer the social of gaming with other people as well, but some of us simply don’t have that luxury a lot of the time. So you learn to adapt, or you don’t play games. That simple.

And I assure you, having done both extensively, playing an RPG solo using GME and writing a story are not the same 🙂

I don’t agree with your assessment of computer games though. Modding tools are a wonderful thing.

caenissnow
                        Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=2911]Yeah, sorry, maybe that one came out wrong. I apologise 🙁

I meant that, to me, gaming as in gamings pnp rpgs, is a social experience, not really gaming in general. My bad. :unsure:

Sadly, my experience with computer gaming tends to support the general perspective but I really didn’t want to be obnoxious, sorry. 🙁

Now to me the trouble with computer games is really that they stop working (one way or another), that they stop evolving, and that you have no control over them. ie: you have no “what if” ability. 😛 you can’t rewrite the end and do something else entirely. You are entirely dependent on the publisher (let’s say that most of us are at least 😉 ), while it’s pretty easy to play that game of “what if” with pnp rpgs or even with a novel if you will. And imagination is such a marvellous tool… ;)[/quote]

😀 You’re fine. No worries.

My experience with computer games only goes back to 1993 with the Myst series. Before that I played my last console, Super Nintendo with my kids. 😀 So for me, all my games still work.

As for not evolving, well Bethesda’s support of modding changes all that. You can play Skyrim and never play any of the questline. Play it completely your own way, in that universe. In fact, I would say modding changed the way I play games. Now I find it difficult to enjoy a rigid storyline… For instance, for Mother’s Day I got Dragon Age: Inquisition and honestly I haven’t really gotten into playing it yet, it’s all so narrow. I ended up heading back into Skyrim with a rash of new mods. 😛

Also, I’m never in a big rush to get to the ‘end’. I like the journey. Even in online games, I take the wrong path, run right into danger, wander, explore, get lost and find things others just zip by. I try to experience everything. 🙂

Kelemelan
                          Participant

Kalnaren, all I’m saying is that to me what you’re doing may be fun but it’s not RPGing. Therefore, enjoy yourself, that’s fine with me. I’m just saying it’s not my thing. 🙂

Caenis, my guess is that’s because you’ve been using console games. Since I’m a PC user, it’s somewhat more delicate. 🙂

Plus you’re not taking the wrong way as I mean it. I’m really looking for games who are not about hack and slash. Say Skyrim where you can become the most important peasant or the realm, or Skyrim where you can seduce your way to power, etc… 🙂 I’ve spent decades playing character who fights. I’m really looking for something else. In the same settings, okay sure, I like the ambiance, but for other way out of the same problems. That challenge itself is fun. ^_^

caenissnow
                            Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=2914]Kalnaren, all I’m saying is that to me what you’re doing may be fun but it’s not RPGing. Therefore, enjoy yourself, that’s fine with me. I’m just saying it’s not my thing. 🙂

Caenis, my guess is that’s because you’ve been using console games. Since I’m a PC user, it’s somewhat more delicate. 🙂

Plus you’re not taking the wrong way as I mean it. I’m really looking for games who are not about hack and slash. Say Skyrim where you can become the most important peasant or the realm, or Skyrim where you can seduce your way to power, etc… 🙂 I’ve spent decades playing character who fights. I’m really looking for something else. In the same settings, okay sure, I like the ambiance, but for other way out of the same problems. That challenge itself is fun. ^_^[/quote]

Actually I said I play strictly PC games… my last console was a Super Nintendo in the early 90’s. My first PC game was Myst in 1993 and I’ve played nothing but PC games since then. I do upgrade to a new PC every 5 years or so.

And again…. If you mod the game, Skyrim can be ANYTHING you want it to be within that universe. I can’t really discuss how I’ve played it here. It’s more… ‘mature’ in nature and I really don’t think it’s appropriate to talk about here. Let’s just say, fighting had nothing to do with it. There are many ways to play the game depending on the mods.

Kelemelan
                              Participant

😆 😛 lol okay, that was fun ^^

But I’m not talking about stuff requiring specific mods. Just a simple text mode interface works okay (basically that’s what you’re doing when you write your stories, aren’t you ? 🙂 ). I’m talking about the ability of the whole game to change (or even to adapt the storyline because it would just be more fun 🙂 ) depending on what you’re doing…

For instance, is it possible in a Middle Earth game to destroy the One Ring before TA 3019 ?… And what’s happening then ?… Well, if the answer is no, I’m not going to like that very much. That’s the basic idea. Note that if that game is a PnP RPG, I’ll react the same way. 🙂

Now, if by “ANYTHING” you actually mean “ANYTHING”, okay, then, we agree. 🙂

caenissnow
                                Participant

Just as an example:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77868/?

And a list:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26845/?

Of course, the way I play is a lot darker but yeah… that’s just a few.

My game has a lot of mature stuff and is a blend of Skyrim and the Witcher games. Things are very deadly and there is an enormous amount of risk, not only of an adult nature but also of starving to death, freezing to death, etc. So when i decide to play a passive character I am throwing her in a soup of danger. It’s fun. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 231 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.