Forums ePic Character Generator Showroom Share your character :) kalnaren’s characters

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Kelemelan
    Participant

Something looks odd to me. Why are you using single quotes in the middle of names between a vowel and a consonant (in that order) ? How is it pronounced ?

Fasoldgames
      Participant

That’s quite a story, thanks for sharing!

kalnaren
        Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=3575]Something looks odd to me. Why are you using single quotes in the middle of names between a vowel and a consonant (in that order) ? How is it pronounced ?[/quote]

It’s an apostrophe. A variant on Irish Gaelic. You could pronounce it like “Deh Rourke”, though that’s a little harsher.

Most of the names in my fiction are variants on some type of historical etymology. Kharunian male names are derived from Roman, female from Greek, for example.

“Kembria” above is actually derived from the Cornish name for Wales, so sticking with Gaelic-themed family names fit.

Kelemelan
          Participant

I see. Funny how languages work.

Just out of the blue, I would have had them sound very different. What can I say, guess I’m just used to the romance languages. 😉

kalnaren
            Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=3578]I see. Funny how languages work.

Just out of the blue, I would have had them sound very different. What can I say, guess I’m just used to the romance languages. ;)[/quote]

Indeed.. I’m going to guess you tried pronouncing it as if it were French? Bet that was a tongue twister lol. French I might have written it Derouché, or something like that (Dare-ou-shay).

English pronunciation would “De Rork” (De with a short ‘e’ sound, not “Dee”)

Generally in most of my writing I play pretty loose with names. In southern Ardanya I stuck to familiar Greek and Anglo-Saxon names for given names (typical of what you’d see in modern day Canada, United States, England, etc.). For Kharunia I stuck to older Greek and Roman names for given names. I don’t think I established any conventions for Valwyre.

For surnames I’ve generally gone with what roles off the tongue well while trying to be consistent with some made-up grammatical rules (at least for the Kharunians). Thus Kharunian names are a Greek or Roman derived given name, an intermediate (such as ‘ser’ or ‘fe’), and a full word that’s derived from nothing more than what sounds good. But on paper it gives the impression of a consistent cultural naming convention.

Kembria I’m being a little more consistent with both forenames and surnames. Aaeron, Annabel, and Isobel all slightly more modern versions of Irish Gaelic names, and De’Rourke is a variant on a old Irish Gaelic surname.

Ludfordshire is also a combination variant on two town names found in Ireland (again, retaining their Gaelic names) with some Welsh influence thrown in.

I’ve stayed largely away from Romantic names because I wanted to play around with some less familiar influences.

I basically used similar conventions when coming up with the Kharunian language. The term Bea mae literally translated would be Goodbye friend (a common parting in Eldar/Kharunian), but both those words are actually derived from their English synonyms. For simplicity’s sake I didn’t write new grammatical rules for Eldar, mostly because I’m not a linguist and have no idea how to even go about doing it, and I never use enough of the language in my writing for anyone to notice.

I’ve used the apostrophe a few times instead of a conjunction to tie two related words into a single phrase, such as the case of Tali’Centi (which, I just checked my notes, and it should have been Taly’Centi… oops, I’ve been writing it wrong since I came up with it lol). Both taly and centi have unique meaning (again, derived from their English synonyms), but I combine them together using an apostrophe into a single joined word that means something else. Some real languages have similar conventions.

I stayed completely away from gendered nouns. They annoy me.

Kelemelan
              Participant

Well, let me illustrate with Champions’master villainess Gravitar.

She’s one of Champions’ most important (and most powerful) character, and she’s supposed to be french.

Her name is Erica d’Monstressart.

Just one thing, no idea where she’s coming from, but it isn’t from France. Such a name can’t exist here, she should be either Erica Monstressart or Erica de Monstressart (from a strictly grammatical perspective), now I’d add that her name should be Montressart anyway, that’s just me but this extra “s” sounds… english, if you get my drift. 🙂

————

That’s why I was asking, if your intent was to create some kind of latin or romance society, then, I would have added some comments. Since you drifted some conventions of your own for the setting, that’s fine with me. This is your world, you can do what you will. 🙂 ^_^

kalnaren
                Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=3580]Well, let me illustrate with Champions’master villainess Gravitar.

She’s one of Champions’ most important (and most powerful) character, and she’s supposed to be french.

Her name is Erica d’Monstressart.

Just one thing, no idea where she’s coming from, but it isn’t from France. Such a name can’t exist here, she should be either Erica Monstressart or Erica de Monstressart (from a strictly grammatical perspective), now I’d add that her name should be Montressart anyway, that’s just me but this extra “s” sounds… english, if you get my drift. 🙂

————

That’s why I was asking, if your intent was to create some kind of latin or romance society, then, I would have added some comments. Since you drifted some conventions of your own for the setting, that’s fine with me. This is your world, you can do what you will. 🙂 ^_^[/quote]

Gotchya. Makes sense.

My French familiarity is really limited to Québécois (despite our schools attempting to teach Parisian French…), which of course is a strange amalgamation of… stuff…

Kelemelan
                  Participant

Yep, it is. French is like english anyway. I’m certain I’d have a hard time understanding someone from Haiti or Benin ;P

kalnaren
                    Participant

This is a little better.

Isobel with some postwork done on her face, mostly just to add makeup and adjust eye colour.

kalnaren
                      Participant

Some more art for my board game project. These will mainly be used for game tiles and background.

Members of a necromancy cult that partakes in ritualistic murder and resurrects their victims.

And what i think is one of the best looking characters I’ve created with ECG:

Doing these I really realized just how many more options we have for female characters. I can’t remember what S2 category it was, but I had like 14 pages of stuff for female chars and… 4 for dudes.

Kelemelan
                        Participant

Oh yeah, I keep looking for that specific stuff I’m used to using for female character and I don’t find it because there’s no male equivalent. Pity.

Otoh, I would welcome female supers sets too since my supermen are kinda lonely atm, so I’m still waiting. 😉

Good job on the art. Can’t say they are my cup of tea (hey, I said super, right :P) but I appreciate the end result. 🙂

sojournstar
                          Participant

Love your work, very nice chars…

I like the way you made them more paper and ink like a comic book

kalnaren
                            Participant

Thanks for the PSD export. Having the layers makes doing very subtle things so much easier.

I lost my source file for Isobel, so I had to re-do her anyway. Other than the ink filter only a few subtle things done around the face in GIM, but looks better 🙂

Isobel

kalnaren
                              Participant

I can’t overstate just how more awesome it is having layered PSD exports in this program. Seriously allows a lot more freedom in what we can do with the images.

On that note, Isobel in her wedding attire. 3 different PSD exports, final PSD image has 28 layers. I could accomplish a lot of this before, but having the layered exports makes it so much easier.

Isobel

Same image without the ink effect.

LBandy
                                Keymaster

Happy to hear you like it! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 108 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.