Forums ePic Character Generator Technical Discussion Bug Report Antivirus identified the software as false-positive

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    sojournstar
    Participant

OK, unfortunately I only got around to trying to re install the game today, but now I am confused again (remember if you will, I am 70 and fading)

I have no idea where it was originally installed, because as mentioned, most of it seems to have disappeared.

I do know that my epic folder where all my characters etc are stored is in my E Drive (my Seagate external) but not sure how it got there, or where the exe file was or is now.

Also, before I try downloading a re install, I still see an “uninstaller” in my start menu. I have not tried to click to it, but should I be uninstalling what is leaft over first ,,,,,, Sorry to be so confused, it’s sometimes what age does.

LBandy
      Keymaster

No need to uninstall. If you simply download the installer from here: https://overheadgames.com/epic-character-generator/ – it should automatically pick up the last installation location, and simply by clicking Next on each step you should have your executable repaired, and everything else will remain as you used to have them before the new update came out.

The reason you saw this happening now with the new character is that it was released at the same time the new update went live. If it were a simple update without a new character you would’ve experienced the same, unfortunately.

On a related note, Avast got back to me and whitelisted the executable already. Norton is still pending for over a week now.

sojournstar
        Participant

YA YA YA YA YAY

I have my ePic back….

Thanks for your patience Bandy!!

LBandy
          Keymaster

No worries at all! Happy to hear it’s working now! 🙂

Synaesthezia
            Participant

I’m getting the same issue with Windows Defender, even after I try a new downloaded version. It is flagging as a severe threat.

LBandy
              Keymaster

For Windows Defender it takes a few months to start and trust a new installer. You’ll have to manually allow it to be able to run it for now.

If you don’t want to do this, you can use the Steam version (https://store.steampowered.com/app/408930) – as there’s no installer there, and the software is being unpacked by the Steam executable, it’s deemed a credible source. Keep in mind that if you made purchases on our site, all those packs will be usable in any version of the software (standalone, Steam, Google Play).

sojournstar
                Participant

Hi Bandy… I just wanted you to know that my laptop finally fried the screen, and the only way to see anything right now is to hook it to hdmi, which only works to do light things… we are looking and trying to figure out what to do, but neither of us are pc techs, so wish us luck….

Also, I am most likely need some help or questions answered in the near future, about reinstalling (again) etc… but I am sure there is going to be an entire new learning curve with a new pc…. this one was from 2008

LBandy
                  Keymaster

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully, you’ll get that sorted soon!

As for what goes for reinstalling, don’t worry… Just type your login details in the Login screen and all packs will be downloaded for you ready to be used.

LBandy
                    Keymaster

Synaesthezia, I since got in touch with Microsoft and got the installer analyzed and whitelisted on Windows Defender. Using the latest virus definitions, it should no longer consider ePic Character Generator as a “Severe Threat”. The normal Smartscreen notification concerning the software is from an untrusted source should still pop up though.

I hope this helps.

Synaesthezia
                      Participant

Thank you, I’ll try it again in a few days.

SevenDos
                        Participant

I just downloaded this for the first time and my Windows Defender reports it contains a Trojan: Win32/Zpevdo.B

It’s not just Avast or Norton reporting it. I was planning on purchasing, but I’m not purchasing anything that tells me from different sources it contains a virus. I’m just glad I didn’t download this on my worklaptop.

I fully understand how false positives work, but you have had reports about this for a long time and as a developer, you could have fixed this a long time ago.

LBandy
                          Keymaster

Hi SevenDos,

Thanks for the heads up! Can you please confirm if you are seeing the detection on the installer, or on the executable after the installation has been completed?

The false-positive detection on the installer has been removed from Windows Defender almost a week ago, please see the attachment. Chances are, you are still using older virus definitions, which you can update manually by following the guide provided by Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates

Unfortunately, this issue is not something that I can fix. Well, I could, by removing the networking module from our software, which I obviously can’t do, as it’d completely break the software. This issue only usually resurfaces after a new version is published and there are significant changes in the binary, like new features, as that changes the code signature and sometimes a new whitelisting process is necessary. Trust me, I’d be the happiest if Antivirus and Cybersecurity companies would finally learn how to identify threats and let safe programs run without issue, but unfortunately until then, this remains just a dream. 🙂

Being a small developer where we provide an executable on our website without a significant number of downloads (that means over 100k/month) any software that tries to connect to the internet will always be marked suspicious by any AV software, so a manual whitelisting process, that is followed by detailed analysis carried out by the respective teams is necessary. After the software is whitelisted you can be sure that it’s safe, otherwise, it wouldn’t have been granted the whitelisting in the first place.

On the other hand, you can always download the Steam version, since Steam is a trusted publisher, any executable installed by them is generally marked safe (unless it is truly a virus, as in that case, even Steam-installed executables are detected and removed): https://store.steampowered.com/app/408930/ePic_Character_Generator/

I hope this helps, I look forward to hearing from you.

SevenDos
                            Participant

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I got the detection while the generator was installing, right before it finished. I checked and my latest update on defender was from a few hours ago, so I’m pretty sure I am up-to-date.

You do sound very thrustworty and forthcoming with information. I’ll give the steam version a go and i’ll report back, so any other potential customers aren’t getting the wrong idea from my previous message.

Kelemelan
                              Participant

Feels extremely odd, closer I am to this is ePic on W7 with Windows Defender and I’m not facing any issue.

For the record, I’m running ePic on several computers with different OS or antiviruses and none of them reported anything wrong.

And I’m not even using the steam version. Only used it a few times in order to check the stuff. Go figure… 😛

Sounds like a Microsoft Issue, nothing extremely original…

Kelemelan
                                Participant

I was answering LBandy’s post but nice to know you got the right idea anyway, SevenDos.

Welcome aboard, btw ! ^_^

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.