Forums ePic Character Generator Technical Discussion Suggestions, Ideas Site Index ~ Window thru your worlds

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    greg
    Participant

Hit the logout button, and you will see it immediately. 🙂

Kelemelan
      Participant

Those pesky cookies ;P

Told you they are a pain, eheh

sojournstar
        Participant

[quote=”greg” post=3781]Hit the logout button, and you will see it immediately. :)[/quote]
          ok I see it now,

I like to see it right away like that, I think it is better all the way round.
          However, my suggestion was to switch/replace the video with the forum/news feed box, not to place it completely at the top.

If you place it on the top left, where the feed originally was, it would be much better, and the vid would be a better size, plus the feeds would be more visible over the fold of the sites page.

Hope you understand what I mean lol.
          Other than that, I personally feel the visual is much better upon arriving at the site.

greg
          Participant

I understand you 😀
            But the template doesn’t.

That position where the news are, is called innertop, and it’s divided into 2 columns.
            And the news is the second column, floated left.

I could fix it, by setting innertop to 1 column, and using additional CSS to make the 50% width for those 2 modules, but that would break the site in responsive mode (for mobiles).

The wonderful world of divs and css 😀

Kelemelan
            Participant

[quote=”sojournstar” post=3748]Might I suggest that you at least move the video box from the bottom of the front page to the first thing you see on the top left, under the menu, and above the news and forum feeds.

The impression I would think you would want there would be to show off the generator and what it can create, not the general news etc… which some I might add is months or even years old, outdated and dead, which is not what you want people to think when they arrive.[/quote]

Nope, greg did what you asked for. Moving the video above the news and forum feed places it at the top if you’re not more specific. 🙂

For the record, a smaller video may be a good idea but a smaller newsfeed does belong at the top (at least for registered users). I really don’t want to have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the info I’m looking for. The video is yesterday’s news to me. 🙁

sojournstar
              Participant

[quote=”greg” post=3784]I understand you 😀
                But the template doesn’t.

That position where the news are, is called innertop, and it’s divided into 2 columns.
                And the news is the second column, floated left.

I could fix it, by setting innertop to 1 column, and using additional CSS to make the 50% width for those 2 modules, but that would break the site in responsive mode (for mobiles).

The wonderful world of divs and css :D[/quote]

well, we certainly don’t want to break the site.

I agree about the divs etc… sometimes more than a pain, I still try to use html and java where possible…

In any case, I do think the video is better up front. Thanks for trying this out.

sojournstar
                Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=3785][quote=”sojournstar” post=3748]Might I suggest that you at least move the video box from the bottom of the front page to the first thing you see on the top left, under the menu, and above the news and forum feeds.

The impression I would think you would want there would be to show off the generator and what it can create, not the general news etc… which some I might add is months or even years old, outdated and dead, which is not what you want people to think when they arrive.[/quote]

Nope, greg did what you asked for. Moving the video above the news and forum feed places it at the top if you’re not more specific. 🙂

[color=red]Actually no he did not….. I said….
                  “Might I suggest that you at least move the video box from the bottom of the front page to the first thing you see on the top left, under the menu, and above the news and forum feeds.”
                  but at least now he has explained why he did not…

You’re quite the smart alec aren’t you lol :lol:[/color]

For the record, a smaller video may be a good idea but a smaller newsfeed does belong at the top (at least for registered users). I really don’t want to have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the info I’m looking for. The video is yesterday’s news to me. :([/quote]

You can still see the feed right after login, as registered users, my concern is/was for new people arriving at the site for the first time.

Kelemelan
                  Participant

“Actually no he did not….. I said….
                    “Might I suggest that you at least move the video box from the bottom of the front page to the first thing you see on the top left, under the menu, and above the news and forum feeds.”
                    but at least now he has explained why he did not…”

Well, au contraire. I’m not sure I understand your point but I’m just trying to say that from my perspective the video can only be watched once, and then it’s a pain. I’m no webmaster, I’m just a user here and from my perspective something that gets in the way once it’s been used isn’t extremely useful… but that’s just me… 🙂

About the smaller video: I assumed your idea was for the site to look this way *post* log in (or all the time for that matter).

sojournstar
                    Participant

[quote=”Kelemelan” post=3788]

About the smaller video: I assumed your idea was for the site to look this way *post* log in (or all the time for that matter).[/quote]

Not sure what you meant, but yes I meant it mostly for new visitors.

Most people want to be smacked with visuals not text, but I already said all that in the opening…

The point upon arrival at a new website, is to make the visitor comfie and grab their attention, not the members, they have already been here and know what is on the inside, bla bla lol

Kelemelan
                      Participant

Which brings another questions : what kind of people are buying ePIc ?

Not sure usual sales policy do apply but I may be utterly wrong

greg
                        Participant

Done the trick with CSS. It involves first-child, a hidden module and some floating elephants.

But definitely looks better.

Kelemelan
                          Participant

Err, it looks buggy to me.

Pre log in, the animation is much smaller but now I’ve got a **huge** empty gap between it and the Release Plans and the Site Overview / Last Forum Posts part. That empty gap is basically as big as the animation itself. It looks odd.

What makes it even weirder is that once I’m logged in, the animation disappears but everything is still at the bottom, so I got a blank page if I don’t scroll down.

Feels like it needs some fixing.

greg
                            Participant

That’s… interesting.

Which browser do you use? And what’s the screen resolution?

Kelemelan
                              Participant

On this computer, Vivaldi on linux screen Rez is 1366 x 768. Just checked and issue is the same with Firefox.

Tried a Windows 10 machine with firefox and chrome and everything worked okay. However, Vivaldi still has this issue.

Vivaldi on the Win10 comp that is

greg
                                Participant

Need to look into that browser.
                                  From your description it looks like it doesn’t handle the “clear: both;” at the end of each module, this pulls the building blocks together.

My metaphor for this is “tetris”: the blocks are floating upwards, and the next block fills the gap.

In your case, the right column stops the first block (video / hidden module) from floating up, so you have a huge gap till the bottom of Random Product…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.