Forums ePic Character Generator Chit Chat General Chit Chat Welcome New Members! Introduce yourself…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    sojournstar
    Participant

Hello to all new members, my name is Sojournstar, won’t you please say hi!

Total users online: 119 Members and 12704 Guests Online as I write,
      but no one is saying a word lol! Guests, it is warmer on the inside lol!

We don’t bite, we love new people, and we are glad you are here.
      Why not let us know what led you here, what you love about life, or simply ask a question or 2… We all would love to hear from you.

Have any ideas? Feel free to spit them out… got some art to share, please do.

neilmoore_2000
      Participant

Hello, I’m Neil. I was just in the process of asking a question on the FAQ page, but couldn’t get that to work, so I’ll ask it here at the same time as introducing myself.

Q: The license to use ePic Generator content in a commercial application (a boardgame in my case) seems to be pretty clear, but does this also include the 3rd party stuff bundled with what I purchased, namely the donator pack?

I’ve purchased the pro version and everything available as of this moment, is there anything in there I can’t use within the game I’m developing or is everything usable?

I became aware of ePic Generator a couple of years back when I first began working on my project and thought I’d be availing myself of it way before now. But I instead found myself spending an inordinate amount of time working on other aspects of the game and it’s only now I’m getting around to doing the games characters. I’ve actually got pretty high hopes for getting loads of characters developed quickly with the ePic Generator, such is the streamlined nature of the program. I’m also impressed by the sheer volume of potential characters one can create. Impressive indeed.

The one issue for me pertains to the standard, virtually “front on”, arms by their side aspect with which the generated characters are all positioned. I absolutely understand this aspect has been chosen to provide the highest amount of interchangeability between characters hair, clothes weapons etc, and in this it succeeds very well. But I echo the sentiments of others who’ve written in previously, that it would be nice to be able to mix things up aspect wise.

To date virtually all of the work I’ve been accruing for incorporation into my game has been from 3D artists. I’ve done this for a variety of reasons not the least of which involves the quality and range available, for what I consider the most competitive prices. The added benefit of working with 3D models is there is a complete 360 degree availability of aspects, and if it’s rigged with a skeleton, complete power to adjust the models posture, action etc. The downside is of course one needs to learn at least the basics of working in 3D… a time consuming enterprise. The effort has been worthwhile tho for the versatility each 3D model then provides. In particular the games “event” card artwork is largely made from these 3D models, suitably arranged on a given background, something the Generator will find hard competing with.

A future ePic package showing characters in different aspects would have a massively reduced amount of hair, weapon and costume configurations available but might nevertheless prove popular. I’d vote for such a thing, starting with a Sci Fi pack… of course!

sojournstar
        Participant

Welcome, nice to meet you and glad you finally entered the realm!

That is quite a mouthful you said up there lol. I am going to leave the initial questions to Greg or LBandy, who will for sure answer you shortly.

Would love to see the progress on your game project, please consider posting some pics when you can.

LBandy
          Keymaster

Hi Neil,

You can use all the images anywhere you want, no restrictions on any of the packages. As you own the Pro version you don’t even need to reference that the images were created using the program, although you can always give credit, it’s nice.

As for the multiple pose topic, we’re discussing the possibilities of multiple poses per character internally from time to time. We are aware of the limitations of our current system and this is not something we can easily add, as the whole design of the program came from a single point of view of the character. Currently we focus on enhancing the current experience with other features, but we also have a few ideas we want to experiment with if we have the time, but these are yet to be tested.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

neilmoore_2000
            Participant

Thanks for answering that for me LBrandy, much appreciated. An I do have one follow up question below.

Sojournstar I’m more than happy sharing some images of my game as it’s developing but as the copyright of much of the graphics I’m working on belongs with the original artists, I need to be to be careful respecting this.

Q: LBrandy as long as any pics I submitted were simply attachments to a post and I made it clear they were copyright protected, would this be enough?

I’m glad to hear there’s some thoughts about one day releasing a pack with characters showing different aspects or performing different actions. I totally understand how restricting such a project would necessarily have to be in order to work but there’d be a couple of things one could do to at least somewhat offset this. A few ideas in that regard….

Interchangeable heads with different facial expressions and angles to camera.

Limiting the aspects available (beyond the current “front on” standard) to 45 degrees front on.

Using a semi crouched, arms wide in readiness pose (gives a more dynamic “ready for action” look without imposing lots of new different action poses).

Heavier emphasis on “full sets” where the naturally decreased amount of interchangeability available means it doesn’t really matter if such a character is restricted in other clothing options.

The last point is probably the most important IMHO. If you were ever able to find out from your devotees which character “looks” are the most popular, making “full sets” for these would allow more varying aspects without losing too much of the visual appeal.

What you’ve delivered is already an amazing program that is truly heaven sent for someone like myself. If it needs of necessity to always be restricted to the aspects currently offered, so be it. This is just a wishlist for making something already amazing into something even more so!

LBandy
              Keymaster

Hi Neil,

We don’t have anything specifics on copyrights on our site, so I think general copyright law applies here – if you submit an image and make it clear that it’s under copyright then you are protected.

As for the others, we appreciate your feedback and are happy you find our software useful. The main issue we have here is that the models in the software are not simply rendered images of a 3D model – they are heavily postworked, often hand-painted, so it’s not just a matter of taking multiple shots of the same models or items from different angles. As I said earlier, we have a few things in mind, but I can’t promise there’ll be any steps forward in this regard in the near future unfortunately.

neilmoore_2000
                Participant

Thanks for that, I’m slowly getting my head around all the copyright pitfalls developing a game heavily reliant on others work. Dealing with the legal reps of some of the bigger 3D model brokers has been an edifying (and not always pleasant) experience to say the least.

As for the different aspects discussion, thanks for letting me know it’s under consideration even if only for the distant future. When I submit some of the games artwork here down the track, I’ll try an demonstrate using ePic Generated characters, how subtly changing a couple of things (ie head angle, arm positions) might lend a more dynamic look to the characters. As I mentioned previously, this is totally to do with using such characters in “event” card artwork which naturally should suggest something of the action occuring in that “event”.

I’ll be back…. 🙂

Saeel
                  Participant

Hi, no questions at this point just general hi, how are you. Just got started with this last weekend been fun playing around with it so far. Seriously thinking about buying the pro version, when I can afford it. I play around a bit with DAZ|Studio and Poser a bit. This product is great fun for simple still images.

Kelemelan
                    Participant

Uh… hi

Now that’s odd. How come I just got Saeel’s post as a new message while it’s 3 months old ? oO

Okay I got it 6 hours ago actually and I’m just now having a look at it but something still feels wonky. :

Saeel
                      Participant

can’t be any weirder than getting 2 email responses saying this message has been replied to and only one response in the thread.

Kelemelan
                        Participant

Greg, any hint ? 🙂

sojournstar
                          Participant

yeah, I just got the alert for the first time too, and you know I would have answered 3 months ago if I had…

Hello Saeel and welcome even tho a little late lol…

greg
                            Participant

I’m sorry Saeel, that post somehow didn’t get a moderator’s approval earlier.

The first few times someone posts on our forum, it only appears publicly after we have checked it.
                              Hence only we see the spam messages. 🙂

Saeel
                              Participant

Figured it was something along those lines. Keeps the spam down. =)

Ashesnei
                                Participant

Hi, there.

Don’t know, what I can do here, but I have fun by creating Characters and dungeons. Maybe we can share the fun. There are other hobbys, so it’s not clear, how often I will be here, but we will see in time. Tried to link my steamversion with this side, but the first time it doesn’t worked, maybe I was to stupid then, but now all is okay.

Sorry, if my english isn’t that well, but I think we will understand each other. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.