Forums ePic Character Generator Technical Discussion Suggestions, Ideas Things Lacking in Seasons #1 and #2 that I’d Love to See in the Future

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    The Red Mage
    Participant

I’ve been using the program to make some male and female models of various races and classes, and some things I never paid attention to before that just stood out to me are:

For Season #1, why was there no Ork Female pack?

Also for Season #1, why don’t the Anthro Cat Male and Anthro Cat Female packs have any tail options? While they have options for horns and wings, it seems odd that Anthro Cats wouldn’t have any tails.

For Season #2, why are there so many Drow, Elf, and Fae Folk models for the females, but not for the males? I never noticed before but I think there are only a total of about three pointy-eared male models that would be suitable for an elf or fae. And because you can’t change the color of skin tone, you can’t darken them to be used as Drow.

Also for Season #2, there are many more models for different themes for the female models that the males lack, such as sorcerer, spellcaster, pirate, and post apocalyptic. Why didn’t the male models get those packs too?

Anyhow, as for what I’d like to see in the future:

I would love it if an update to Season #1 could add tail options to the Anthro Cat Male and Anthro Cat Female packs, as it just seems natural that cats should have tails.

As for future packs for Season #3, I think it would be great if more packs were added for the male models to give them a bit more variety.

Regarding female packs, as the Season #1 Ork Male and Season #2 Supernatural Sturdy were male-only, I think it would be useful if there was a pack that provided models that were suitable for sturdy supernatural females, such as big female orks or other large female creatures.

Kelemelan
      Participant

Although I’d definitely like to see more male packs as well, I’m pretty sure I know the answer to one of your question, Red : Women are wayyyyy easier to draw !

It’s all about curves ! ^_^

Compared to that, the male body is awfully complex and elaborate ;P

Can’t blame the artists for choosing the pretty road when they have to spend so much time designing piece of cloth and equipment…

But yes, I would support male packs anytime πŸ™‚

Doubt the Season 1 packs will evolve much in the future but you can easily add whatever you want in postwork, especially tails.

It’s quite easy to morph the packs into a different silhouette too. But it work way better when you try to creare a female model than a male one… What did I say about women being easier to draw ?… πŸ˜‰

I’m way more concerned about new male models than about female ones.

LBandy
        Keymaster

First of all, thanks a lot for your suggestion! Let me answer your questions briefly.

When we launched the software we had the Human, Dwarf and Elf packs ready. We moved on to create new packages while also asking for lots of feedback on what to improve on. We developed the Anthro Cats, the Modern Humans, and the Ork Male. By the time we were to create an Ork Female, we realized there is a need for a bigger change in how the packs can be used, so we moved on to create the packs in Season #2, with better quality and additional improvements in terms of mixing items between packages. As a result, the Ork Male never received his partner sadly. The Anthro Cats missing their tails is also a very good observation. I don’t think I ever noticed that (we started doing tails as separate items only later in Season #2).

When we launched Season #2, we had an almost equal amount of Female and Male packages, and only 3 Muscular Male packs. Once again, we were asking for feedback, and also monitored which packs are selling the most (this gives a good indicator of what people are most interested in) and we quickly saw an increasing demand for Female packs, while there wasn’t much need for more Male and especially Muscular Male packages from the community. We knew Kelemelan was an avid sci-fi Male fan, so we created some Forum Challenges packs in those settings to try to grow his arsenal. πŸ™‚

At the moment I don’t believe Season #1 or #2 will receive additional “official” packages. The Developer program is open to anyone who wants to create additional artwork, but since only an exported base png is provided and not the 3D model itself (we can’t give that away because of licensing reasons) I think it’d be really hard to actually come with a meaningful wardrobe in a similar quality to what we have now.

In Season #3 we’re focusing on working with different artists and in various art styles. The aim of those packages is to create something fresh and different to what we had so far and see which directions are more interesting to the community, which we can further develop. We’ll keep your suggestions in mind when deciding on what to create in those packs, along with many other good ideas we got from our recent Questionnaire.

We are also looking at opening up other aspects of character customization, which we believe will solve some of the concerns above. We’ll see. πŸ™‚

I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but this is all I can provide at the moment. Please feel free to comment any further, I’m always here to learn more about your needs and try to steer the direction of the software in a way that’d be best for everyone, but there are some limitations I can’t overcome sadly.

The Red Mage
          Participant

Thank you for the information, it is much appreciated. I look forward to whatever packs come out next for Season #3.

Kelemelan
            Participant

Forum is moderated ? now that’s new.

Kelemelan
              Participant

There, tried my luck at giving tails to the anthro cats.

Not completely satisfying to me but it works. πŸ™‚

Tailed CatTailed Cat - Male

LBandy
                Keymaster

Wow, they look really cool! Your mustaches are rolling out in a few days, so if you have a tail collection, I can add them in too. πŸ˜‰

The forums aren’t moderated, but sometimes (I’m still trying to figure out why) some new topics and replies are flagged as suspicious and they need manual approval. I’ll try and sort this out too.

Kelemelan
                  Participant

I’ll send you the PSDs asap.

Need to clean them a bit.

Do you need something specific for a layer’s color to be variable ?

This will be needed to adapt the tail’s fur color to the cat’s body

The Red Mage
                    Participant

That’s great that the Anthro Cat Male and Female packs will get tails. Thank you in advance. It is much appreciated.

daniel-arnold
                      Participant

While I can understand not being able to give away the 3D model, I still would like to be able to view the character models (complete with whatever clothes I give them) from behind. I do want to see how some of these clothes look from the back, plus it would give designs for scenes more options. For example, I can’t create any scene with a crowd in front of a stage because none of the character avatars would be looking at the stage, which would be unrealistic.

I do understand it may be too much work, though. Perhaps a “backside pack” would be a better idea?

Second thing is that I’d love to have more anthropomorphic options other than “cat people”. The main one I’d like to see are “wolf people”, because right now, if I wanted to create a werewolf, I couldn’t do it. I suppose I could always tweak the AnthroCat, but it doesn’t look right to me, and some pieces in the Donator Pack have depicted “wolf men”.

Kelemelan
                        Participant

ePics is meant to create Pics, it’s in the name.

3D creation or adding to the existing packs is postwork and then there is the Developer Program ^ . πŸ™‚

The Red Mage
                          Participant

The main one I’d like to see are β€œwolf people”, because right now, if I wanted to create a werewolf, I couldn’t do it.

While it’s not much, with the Season 1 Ork Male pack, there are options to make those character models look like werewolves.

Here’s one example of a werewolf character I made with that pack a while back ago with both his (demi)human form and werewolf form:

And here’s another random wolfman:

Kelemelan
                            Participant

I can understand the wolfpeople request, actually, I’d probably use it too ^_^

Daniel, a “backside pack” would be generally useless imho, with general edit, you can change a picture into a drawing and the main issue is the face. If the person is seen from the back, it’s not an issue at all… Now, that’s just my opnion. I’m not the deciding vote. πŸ˜‰

daniel-arnold
                              Participant

On HeroMachine, it was easy to create characters from the rear perspective, but that’s because there’s far less detail in the drawings. Unless there’s some trick I don’t know about, the finished characters on the Generator would need hours of work to change their perspective from the front to the rear view, because there’s just so much detail. It’d be much easier to have the model from behind and work from there.

TheRedMage, I have tried using the Ork pack to create wolf men, but as close as I can get, they just don’t look right to me. I don’t want to knock your work because it looks good, but only #2 is close to looking like an actual wolf man, although I don’t think it’s close enough for me. The Donator Pack has a piece where an actual wolf man is carrying a female warrior, but I have yet to be able to recreate that wolf man elsewhere in the program.

Kelemelan
                                Participant

Heromachine is meant for creating comic books characters. ePic is meant to create actual persons. That’s why it’s easier to start from actual pics and to change them into drawings.

Daniel, Red’s work on wolfmen is good. You can’t expect an artist’s rendering to be what you have in mind unless you pay a specific artist for a specific work and that can get expensive quickly enough. With a piece of software, it’s even worse.Β  This is general issue material. Hence the importance of postwork to adapt it to your specific needs. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.