Forums › ePic Character Generator › Technical Discussion › Bug Report › Solved Bugs › The gui.lba file not created on Windows 8
- This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LBandy.
March 9, 2014 at 3:35 pm #20386ELFParticipant
Installing the generator on my Windows 8 (Finnish locale) system seemed to go without problems. When I try to launch the program, I get a runtime error from the Visual C++ runtime library. This happens every time, even after rebooting the system.
The log file contains the following info:
[2014/3/8 22:51:37] Logging started…
[2014/3/8 22:51:37] Failed to open data file: C:UsersELFAppDataRoaming/ePic Character Generator/dat/gui.lba
[2014/3/8 22:51:37] Failed to open file: icon.png
(Note how the end of the path uses forward slashes – does Windows 8 handle this notation properly?)
The referenced AppData directory is empty, apart from the error logs and the dat subdirectory (which contains only two files: char_huma.lba and core_huma.lba – probably created when I tried to install these packs separately from links on the forum).
So it seems that the installer has failed to install the required files in the AppData directory. I tried downloading and running the installer again, but the problem remains.
Any ideas?March 9, 2014 at 3:54 pm #20389LBandyKeymaster
That looks strange. Can I ask you to properly uninstall the program, delete the above mentioned ePic Character Generator folder manually if still exists, and then perform a clean install of the application? It’s clearly an issue about the installer couldn’t access the directory to create the necessary files.
Please let us know how it worked!March 9, 2014 at 4:10 pm #20390ELFParticipant
I found out the problem: The installer required admin rights, and indeed it had installed all the AppData files in the admin’s AppData directory. I copied all the *.lba files, the immortal.ttf as well as the email.txt file to my own roaming AppData directory, and now the program is working as expected.
(As a side note: One potential factor is that when using a Finnish Windows 8 installation, the “Administrator” user is called “Pääkäyttäjä” (with 5 accented characters). So in theory character encoding might affect this as well. But the program seemed well-behaving in this regard, as all the files were in the correctly copied in the admin’s AppData directory. So probably this localisation issue is handled as it should be by Windows itself, so it’s probably not an issue here.)March 9, 2014 at 4:36 pm #20391LBandyKeymaster
I’m glad you’ve figured it out. The program uses wchars, so any username should be functioning fine.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.