Forums ePic Character Generator Technical Discussion Bug Report Epic Character Generator will not start

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Pseudonymz
    Participant

Hi,

As of today, whenever I start the ePIC character generator program it gets stuck in a loop attempting to install a patch. In detail:

I launch the program
      It doenloads a patch
      It displays a message box saying “A new version is waiting to be installed. The program will now restart. This will require admin rights.”
      I click on OK to close the box.
      The program relaunches (and I give it admin rights when it starts up if requested).
      The program downloads the patch again
      Thr program displays a message box saying “A new version is waiting to be installed. The program will now restart. This will require admin rights.”

and the sequence then repeats until I close it from the Task Manager.

I’ve tried initially launching the program with admin rights and turning off my anti-virus program, but neither of these actions made any difference.

I’m using the standalone program on the current version of Windows 10.

What should I do?

Thanks,

Pseudonymz

LBandy
      Keymaster

Thanks for reporting, I’ll investigate asap.

LBandy
        Keymaster

Hello again,

I did a quick check, as I’m dedicated to get this solved asap, but I cannot reproduce the issue on my end unfortunately. Could you kindly send me the ePicCharacterGenerator.exe file from your installation directory? You can either attach it here as an attachment, or send it via mail to [email protected].

Thanks again!

sojournstar
          Participant

I too am having exact same issue… only on windows 7, not 10

Pseudonymz
            Participant

Hi,

I’ve attached my exe as a zip file. In case it’s relevant, the path to it on my drive is “C:ePic Character GeneratorePicCharacterGenerator.exe”

Thanks!

Attachments:
              Pseudonymz
              Participant

Incidentally, would it be worth me trying removing the exe file completely and downloading a new one from the epicgenerator.net site rather than trying to patch the one I have?

Thanks

The Red Mage
                Participant

I’d just like to add that I’m having the exact same issue as of today.

LBandy
                  Keymaster

Thanks a lot for all the replies! I tried running the attached .exe but it once again worked well, so my assumption is that it’s somehow related to the user profile not updating correctly. If anyone could e-mail me their profile.lbd file to [email protected], that’d help me narrow down the issue even more.
                    In the meantime I force refreshed the cache on our server, and hopefully it’ll download correctly now. Please give it another try and let me know if it works, or still stuck in a download loop (if the latter, please send the profile to me, so I can investigate further).
                    If you are eager to run the new version however, downloading and running the installer again would definitely fix the issue.

sojournstar
                    Participant

After you refreshed the server, it did let me in and load what I am assuming was the new packets….

BUT now all my packs that I already bought, including the 2 new ones (Throne and Comic) are asking me to buy them all again when I click start. Instead of loading the game, it gives me a screen on the left side that tells me what is in the package it is asking me to buy….

I have already bought everything except the Male portrait…

I am also confused as to what these bundles are, are they just replicas of what is in season 2…. anyway, I hope you guys can fix this soon. I have no idea where to find the profile thing you mentioned, I hope someone else knows what you need.

Pseudonymz
                      Participant

As of this morning everything is working correctly for me. (When I ran the executable it upgraded itself as expected rather than getting stuck in a loop, and when I enter the upgraded program I have all of my packs available.)

Thanks

LBandy
                        Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, I’m happy to hear that the update is working now.

sojournstar I just checked our backend and I can confirm all of your packages are there. After claiming free packs you’ll either need to log out and log in again, or restart the software. Currently it doesn’t know automatically that a new pack has been added to your account to start syncing.

Please let me know if there are still issues afterwards.

Kelemelan
                          Participant

What was the issue ?

For the record I just updated one installation of ePic on my end and as far as I can tell, it works fine.

However, I’m running Linux and Wine.

So far, didn’t test other OS.

sojournstar
                            Participant

1st time still asked me to buy lol…

but then I thought to log out, and re log in again, and it finally read me lol.

Thank you LBandy!

The Red Mage
                              Participant

I solved the problem by uninstalling the program, redownloading the install file, and then reinstalling the program, and now it works fine.

LBandy
                                Keymaster

The issue was that if you logged in after mid-october, although the files were changed on the server, the file cache list didn’t update when the client connected (it was saved in the profile and it got looked up instead of the fresh data), so it always believed to be downloading an earlier patch file, and the downloaded file never matched the one which the server was telling it should be. I figured one of the files were not updated by the script I was running so a forced update make everything to be in sync again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.