Forums ePic Character Generator Technical Discussion Bug Report epic character generator not working in windows xp – entry point not found

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Majestik
    Participant

I installed the PC version of the program and gain the error on launch: The procedure entry LCIDToLocaleName could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.

Any suggestions?

LBandy
      Keymaster

Hello,

You need SP2 to be installed in order to run the software. Do you have it?

Majestik
        Participant

I have XP Pro 2002 SP3. Sorry for not posting that earlier 🙂

LBandy
          Keymaster

Thanks for the reply! We had some issues a year ago with XP compatibility but it was fixed at that time, and I know we have some users still running on XP. If the program doesn’t work currently I’ll need to take a look at it unfortunately. I’ll be back at my PC by the end of the week, when I can see what might cause problems. Would you mind emailing me your dxdiag so I can set up the same environment virtually?

Thank you, and sorry for the wait.

LBandy
            Keymaster

A quick update on this, I just checked on a virtual machine running XP and the current version of the program indeed doesn’t start properly. I suspect it’s a dependency issue, will get back to you with a fix soon. In the meantime, thank you for your patience.

Majestik
              Participant

I’m guessing there’s no fix? It’s been 4 months…
                I might as well start selling plasma so i can upgrade my machine it seems…

LBandy
                Keymaster

Hey Majestik!

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I investigated the issue thoroughly and I found that a recent update to Windows XP (back in 2017) made our software unable to run on said system. I had my virtual machine prior to the update run the software, then the system required a restart because of an update was available, and then the very same executable no longer started. I tried to get to the root of the issue but the depency error I suspected runs much deeper, mainly in third party libraries we use for network communication. So as for now unfortunately I’m unable to offer a solution to you on Windows XP. If you have a chance I’d recommend upgrading your OS to a more recent one. At the same I can tell you that we’re close to finishing the mobile version of the software, so that might be able to help you. Keep an eye on our newsletters. 🙂

I’m sorry again.

Kelemelan
                  Participant

Majestik, you could have your machine run from a linux live USB (with linux mint, wine and epic for instance).

This could be a temporary way out of this issue while waiting for the actual fix.

This won’t make Win XP+ePic work but it would allow you to use ePic just by plugin in a USB key so there’s that. 🙂

Just an idea.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.